Position: Designer/ Production Manager (The Tablet Newspaper)
Company: DeSales Media Group
Reports to: Deputy Editor
Status: Full time
Do you have an artistic eye? Do you have the gift of making a page pop? The Diocese of Brooklyn’s award-winning newspapers, The Tablet and Nuestra Voz, are looking for a professional designer who will help take the papers to a new level. On a weekly basis, you will layout many of the editorial pages the ads.
· Layout the weekly The Tablet, plan, design, and layout special pullouts.
· Layout the monthly Spanish-language newspaper Nuestra Voz and be responsible to coordinate with the printer all of the monthly production side aspects and documents.
· Calculate the advertising percentage, which will determine news hole and page count
· Create ad lists to send to the sales department each week.
· Convert documents to PDF files and then send to printer.
· Color correct photos used in news stories for optimal quality in printing process.
· Determine that incoming ads are sized properly.
· Ensure that strict deadlines are met.
· Create digital files for the sales department’s clients.
· Upload news stories and columns to the newspaper’s website using WordPress
· 4+ years working at a newspaper or magazine design/pagination department
· Highly experienced in Adobe InDesign
· FileZilla (FTP)
· Photoshop (be knowledgeable on Color Profiles, and color correction for a newspaper)
· Adobe Acrobat
· Microsoft Word, Excel
· Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail
· Strong and proven ability to multi-task and to work under deadlines
· Bi-lingual and proficient in English and Spanish is a plus
About DeSales Media Group:
DeSales Media Group is the non-profit communications and technology arm of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Services include media relations and strategy, marketing and social media, ad sales, educational support, video production, large events, and news content. DeSales Media Group operates NET-TV, a cable television channel that reaches more than two million people in the New York area. Its news group produces a nightly television program, two award-winning newspapers (The Tablet and Nuestra Voz), and operates a digital department that produces and distributes exclusive news and informational content. We don’t just cover our own backyard. We go where the news is happening, which includes traveling nationally and internationally. DeSales Media is expanding. We will soon be moving into a brand-new facility near the Barclay Center, which includes a state-of-the-art newsroom and studio. DeSales is looking for creative and experienced professionals who are motivated to make a difference.