Broadcast Systems Engineer
- Participate in day-to-day execution of preventive and corrective system maintenance.
Provide high-level customer support and service to News, Digital Ops, Production, Master Control, and Radio.
- Resolve issues through analysis and troubleshooting. Assess technical operations issues and provide enhancements to existing systems and workflows. Analyze technical systems to identify potential issues and identify solutions.
- Develop standard operating procedures.
- Fabricate, cable, install, and wire new systems, utilizing proper tools, labeling, and engineering documentation methods as directed by the Chief Engineer or Director of Engineering.
- Prepare documentation and keep Operations personnel informed of changes to the production environment
Participate in developing priorities, resource requirements, project scope, and objectives.
- Maintain a high level of technical expertise and business knowledge.
- Maintain, track, and report project status and metrics and service request disposition
Required Skills & Experience
- Engineering related Bachelors or Associates Degree or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years experience providing technical support of production control room and studio systems, Newsroom systems, Master Control Room, acquisition, and distribution systems, non-linear editing and media server systems, Automation (Play to Air and Production) systems, content creation systems, file-based systems, media networked systems, live streaming systems, radio broadcast and streaming systems.
- Ability to read and understand technical documentation including schematics, single-line functional drawings, block diagrams, system drawings, connector detail drawings, cable pull sheets, and wire lists.
- In depth knowledge of ADC 100, Ross Overdrive, studio camera setup, MPEG compression, satellite communications.
- Experience with Ross, Imagine Communications (Harris, VideoTek, Leitch), Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, Evertz, Belden (GVG, Miranda, Snell) professional media and broadcast equipment.
- Ability to terminate and test a range of cable/connector combinations including coax/BNC, coax/F, CAT 5 & 6/ RJ11, 12, 45. Experience with structured cabling in a professional broadcast media environment
- Knowledge of a variety of data communications standards including Ethernet (10/100/1000 BaseT), Serial (RS232C/RS422/RS485), SDI (SD/HD), ASI
- Demonstrable knowledge of the use and purpose of test and monitoring equipment (oscilloscopes, multi-meters, waveform monitors, vectorscopes, transport stream analyzers, spectrum analyzers, audio level meters and monitors, network diagnostic systems)
- Knowledge of SMPTE Specifications and Recommended Practices.
- Command of MS-Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Must be a self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, and a Team Player
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong command of written and verbal English and a natural ability to liaise with all levels of the organization
- Valid NYS driver’s license, the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, and ability to climb ladders.
- Must be able to work flexible hours and weekends as required
Preferred Skills & Experience
- AutoCAD, Visio, MS-Project drawing and documentation skills preferred
- CCNA certified is a plus
- SBE Certification is desirable
- Full cabling, wiring, equipment configuration, installation, system integration and Project Management experience helpful
- A working knowledge of media LAN and WAN networking technologies, topographies, and troubleshooting techniques used in broadcasting is highly desirable.